meet our team
Kim L. Kirn, JD
Independent Decision-maker & informal resolution facilitator
Kim Kirn is a full-time mediator and arbitrator with hundreds of completed cases relating to sexual harassment and employment, education including special education, American with Disabilities Act (ADA), housing, affirmative action and tenure. Kim frequently acts as a fact finder for the Illinois State Universities Civil Service System. Her work with the Civil Service System requires that she act as a mediator to see if resolution is possible before beginning the hearing. This unique experience in conducting mediation-arbitrations, sometimes referred to as Med-Arb can be cost effective and attractive to the parties looking to resolve disputes in one day or less.
She mediates disputes through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE); and the Illinois State Board of Education as well as United States Arbitration & Mediation (USA&M); the Greater Gateway Association of Realtors (GGAR); and the Realtor Association of Southwestern Illinois. She arbitrates cases through the American Arbitration Association (AAA); USA&M and the Financial Industries Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Prior to joining USA&M, Kim served as legal counsel for Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) and the Illinois State Comptroller. She was the recipient of the Kimmel Leadership Award while working at SIUE. Additionally, she has taught college level Business Law and Ethics courses. Earlier in her career, Kim practiced law with Lord, Bissell and Brook in Chicago.
She has written numerous legal articles on education, sexual harassment, privacy in the workplace, published in the St. Louis Lawyer, Illinois Bar Journal, GGAR Outlook publication and American Jurisprudence Proof of Fact. She served two terms as a publicly elected Glen Carbon Library Trustee. She is a mother to two adult sons and enjoys walking, sewing and reading (as a member of three book clubs!)
You can visit kimkirnlaw.com for more information.
- Continuum of Sexual Misconduct, Implicit Biases, and Equitable Responses; Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Mediation Certification, 2006
- Sexual Violence and LGBTQ Communities Training, RAINN
- Title IX & Beyond, Title IX Solutions, LLC
- Trauma-Informed Interview Techniques, Thomas Tremblay
- USA&M Advanced Mediator Training, 2007-Present
- J.D., University of Notre Dame Law School, cum laude, 1985
- B.A., University of Missouri-Columbia, cum laude, 1982
- Association of Attorney Mediators, Past National Board Member & Secretary
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Chair of ADR Committee
- Financial Industries Regulatory Authority (FINRA), Arbitrator & Mediator
- Glen Carbon, IL Zoning Board of Appeals, 2003-2006
- Glen Carbon Library, Former Publicly Elected Member
- Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC), Former Hearing Board Member
- Madison County Bar Association
- Missouri and Illinois State Bars
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Women’s Law Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
Kim has taught many continuing legal education classes for the Association of Attorney Mediators (AAM) nationally and locally; Fastcase webinars, nationally; the St. Louis, Missouri and Madison County Bar Associations; and USA&M. Kim’s additional speaking engagements include:
- Title IX & Beyond: Hearing Processes, Appeals & Determining Relevance (August 2020), Title IX Solutions, LLC
- Title IX Advisor Course: Participating in the Informal Resolution Process (March 2021), Title IX Solutions, LLC